The project convened a meeting of regional technical working group for training and capacity building with representation from Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Burundi and ECSA-HC. The meeting aimed to review the implementation of planned activities for the previous fiscal year (2016/17) and plan the activities for 2017/18 fiscal year. The following were the key outcomes of the meeting:-
- Shared progress report on the implementation of the regional and in country training and capacity building TWG activities in the year 2016/17 which included;
- Country specific trainings that were done 2016-17 and the number of personnel’s trained in each country,
- Regional training done for the 2016-17.
- The country training needs were identified and a regional training work plan for the year 2017/18 developed. The main priorities were:- Training on E Learning TOT for administrators (ICT & Lab Specialists), Evaluating the Effectiveness of the Regional training, Training in Equipment Maintenance (hematology machine, GeneXpert), Global health Diplomacy for Project Managers and Health Administrators, Training of trainers for Lab Assessors, Sample packaging and transportation Feed back to sender Under WHO IATA and IAE Guideline.
- Reviewed progress on implementing the certificate course in Laboratory Management at MUHAS with a record of 42 participants benefiting from the training in the first and second cohort.
- Reviewed available opportunities in cascading the curriculum for Laboratory Management and next steps for adoption of the curriculum by other universities in East Africa starting with Makerere University;
- Reviewed the e-learning platform and developed question banks for the Research Methodology and Biorisk training module and plan for next steps including advocating for participants enrolments. These two modules were in addition to the laboratory management and ICT modules that had been earlier completed.
The following were the main follow up actions:-
- Institutionalize the Laboratory Management course in academic institutions of higher learning ranging from colleges to universities) in each country starting with Kenya and Uganda for the 2017/2018.
- Advocating and Sensitization to the staff from the satellite laboratories under the EAPHLNP to start enrolling in the available courses
- Evaluating the Outcomes of the Local and Regional Trainings conducted under the EAPHLNP
For more about this release Download Here